Thursday 21 March 2013

Mirrors Edge iPad


BIG fan of mirrors edge on console, it was a game I waited months on for release and loved the game more than I ever thought I would. People who know me will all agree if you have a chick pulling ninjaish moves or slicing up enemies with katanas I'm there, Mirrors edge obviously feeding the first of my fetishes.
Mirrors edge is a game based around free running, with a political edge to the story. Mostly set on roof tops of a typical metropolitan city, high rise buildings and such. No first person view, no gun play, not much combat, not much like the original at all! If I wasn't being biased due to my love of the original I'd describe the iPad version as a glorified building runner game, but is that a bad thing anyway? Building runner games have you trying and trying again for extended periods of time... no? 2d game play in a 3d setting, a winning combination. Visually its a slight let down, I expected more after seeing EAs stamp all over it but it's nothing that puts you off. The story.... I couldn't tell you much about the story, I restarted the game to play through paying attention to the story side of things, but found myself dropping that aspect of the game very early on, the story is put to you at the loading sections only and has you reading quite a bit of star wars scrolling affect text which just isn't appealing. Most importantly as the game requires quick reflexes the controls are smooth and simple. Stroke up to jump, down to slide, left and right to move in that direction and tap to stop, simple. There are a few tweaks that have you double stroking up to wall run and such, nothing the game requires you to pull off could ever be described as difficult really. Combat has only three options, slide to take out, stroke towards to disarm and jump and stroke towards to fly kick, as the game is even less about combat than the original the opportunities for combat seem a little bit of fun, rather than something that's lacking. Your aim is to get from one side of a map to the other avoiding the obstacles and enemies bullets, multiple routes to each level and collectables that are not that too challenging to reach, just as the original you'll sometimes need to just stop and think your moves through to reach where it is you want to be, but nothing that made me want to throw my tablet across the room. It took me about 2 hours to get through the main game and that's with a little exploration for those collectables.
My favourite things about this game is the same as the original, sleek, stylish, quick paced its simple. There's a slight proud elation to launching the character through the air and jumping into and then back out of a wall runs to reach a slightly more hard to reach path. As there's not allot to the game I don't think Its something I'd revisit any time soon, but definitely something I'd recommend to anyone that owns a device it plays on.

No comments:

Post a Comment